Thursday, April 5, 2012

Acceptance.

I have embraced the truth that is - homeschooling my kid is not for me.

The prospect of homeschooling is something my husband and I had talked about even before we were married. He feels strongly that in a lot schools,  the amount of money one pays is not worth the quality of education they are getting. Plus that one can get the same (and more) out of the time done homeschooling rather than on campus.

The choice to homeschool is something I've been delaying - since it seemed to be a long while before I would have to decide on such. But time does indeed fly, and here we are at the helm of a new school year, with a pre-school age toddler who needs to get serious about holding a pencil right and learning to draw more than just random lines that apparently depict an exploding volcano.

I've realized that I do not have the amount of patience and discipline to school everyday. I enjoy the occassional creative activities I prepare at home. Love the quality time spent and strong bond developed being at home (my work from home arrangements, if you recall). Try to be extra cautious about what Nico is watching, reading, listening to -- learning. But really, I do not have the diligence to school everyday. Plus, the fear of doing a substandard job that would be the cause of possibily eventually falling behind his peers.

On the economic side, I think we have some time to go before migrating to be a single income household. While working free lance is definitely in the plan, it ain't happening today. I do intend to have kid #2 eventually, so I think it'd be better to keep the steady paycheck coming in. In any case, I do have a job that allows me to work from home for a good part of the week (practically the majority of it), so am getting that very crucial quality time in that most parents crave for and feel guility about not being able to give.

After scouting several schools in the area, we have settled on one and are really very happy with our decision. The trial sessions we've had already show that Nico loooooooves the place and will really enjoy going to school.  Anyway, bottomline - learning happens all day everyday. So the schooling at home goes on, partnered with and complementing whatever is taught in "formal" school.

Let the fun begin!

1 comment: