Monday, June 13, 2011

Mommy-made lesson plans!

Probably one of the most common (and in my opinion, grounded) fears of a working parent is leaving their baby with the 'yaya' (nanny) the whole day, while they spend most of the day's decent hours in the office. There's so much to worry about! What is baby is doing all day? Is he picking up all this nonsense from watching noontime shows? Watching cartoons all day? Listening to those terribly annoying radio stations? What is he/she learning from 'yaya'?

Of course, I went through the same. And so ever since my son Nico was an infant (or at least, old enough to understand simple phrases and words), I tried as often as I could to prepare a 'lesson plan' for yaya  to go through while my husband and I were at work. Nothing grand - just simple stuff everyday --  the alphabet on one day, counting to 20 on another, knowing the difference between big and small, identifying colors, shapes, animals and their homes, identifying body parts, practicing reciting his full name, the list goes on!  Am thankful for a hardworking yaya who ensures that Nico goes through the lesson and more.


MondayTuesdayWednesday ThursdayFriday
eyes, nose, bellyneck, feet, handscheeks, earsmouth, elboweyebrow, back
circletrianglesquareovaldiamond
redbluegreenyelloworange
dogcatbirdmousehorse


Now that we're done with the simple things like colors and shapes that all babies know, however, I find myself at a loss on what else to leave as part of the 'lesson plan'. And so you can imagine my excitement about my latest purchase from http://www.amazon.com/.



I saw this book for sale at Lakeshore Learning, but it was cheaper on Amazon (with a feature to preview some pages) -- hooray!  While designed for the classroom, I now have so many new ideas on what else we can teach Nico at home! I can't wait! Stay tuned for future posts about what I've actually done ! ;)

Makes me wonder about taking the dive into homeschooling (which is a post for another time)!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline! I love your idea of giving your yaya a specific lesson plan everyday! A friend actually asked me for suggestions on how she can make her yaya teach her child at home. I'll point her to this post. :)

    Like you, I started teaching my child way before I learned about homeschooling. Since I have arranged to work only in the afternoons and am comfortable and confident teaching my children, my husband and I decided to homeschool at least for preschool. It doesn't take much time to do, and with the excellent work you're doing with the help of your yaya, you'll be able to accomplish much. :)

    -mariel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Mommy Pauline! :) I love your blog! Great tips for working moms :) I actually started a blog about teaching yayas to teach our kids here: http://teacheryaya.blogspot.com/, but I haven't updated it in a while! :) You may also find my article here useful: http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/home-living/about-yaya/how-to-teach-your-yaya-nanny-to-teach-your-kids. :) Welcome din pala to ROCKERS! :) Godbless always! P.S. You can also check out my blogs: www.teachermamatina.blogspot.com and www.trulyrichmom.com for more ideas if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete